Understanding baby behaviour and awareness
Your baby's developing awareness
Through practice and the lessons he learns from you, your baby can now tell you apart from everybody else. He now understands where he ends and you start. He might even recognise his name, or his face in the mirror. Now he knows you’re a separate person, he understands that you might leave and not come back – a terrifying thought!
Your baby knows the difference between feeling hungry and feeling sleepy. You might also understand more about her and the things she does. For example, you might be able to work out the difference between what she does when she’s hungry, and what she does when she’s sleepy.
The world is starting to make some sense for your baby, and for you.
What makes your baby happy
She will become very attached to things, as well as people. She might love one toy much more than all the others. She will definitely prefer one person to everyone else. She will be scared when that person – usually mum or dad – goes away.
What makes your baby anxious
Instead of being afraid of everything, your baby might become afraid of specific things. As he learns what to expect of life, the unexpected might really upset him.
Your baby is learning who the important people in her world are. So she might get anxious when she’s held by people who aren’t important or familiar to her. Sometimes, she get upset when unfamiliar people talk to her.
What interests your baby
Your baby will want to use things the ‘right’ way, and will start experimenting with objects to see what they’re for. This might involve dropping your phone in the cat’s water dish or tipping the sugar bowl onto the rug.
- 27.10.2015 Your baby at 1 month
- Currently reading26.10.2015 Understanding baby behaviour and awareness
- 26.10.2015 Behaviour and Development
- 26.10.2015 Soothing a crying baby
- 26.10.2015 Newborn Baby Behaviour
- 26.10.2015 Introducing discipline to baby
- 26.10.2015 Newborn Behaviour
- 26.10.2015 Parenting books put to the test - ‘Secrets of the Baby Whisperer’
- 26.10.2015 The best sleep advice you've ever heard
- 22.10.2015 Secrets of Baby Behaviour: babies' development from 6 to 8 weeks
- 22.10.2015 Immunisations: What to expect on the day
- 24.09.2015 When Changing Clothes Makes Him Cry
- 24.09.2015 Colic and Crying